The ultimate comfort food, these Smoked Paprika Cheesy Bean Potato Skins have a tender potato skin filled with tasty smoked paprika beans with a cheesy middle. They are vegan, gluten-free and so easy to make.
Smoked Paprika Cheesy Bean Potato Skins [Vegan]
For the Potatoes:
- 4 medium-large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Smoked Paprika Cheese Beans:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, small dice
- 1 teaspoon freshy chopped oregano (or ½ tsp dried oregano)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika (omit if using smoked paprika sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes, optional
- 1 tin cannellini beans (drained weight 240g)
- 1 cup (150g) tomato and smoked paprika sauce or extra tomato passata
- 1 cup (150g) tomato passata
- 40g dairy-free cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (80g) thick dairy-free yogurt e.g. coconut
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Fresh parsley
- Sesame seeds
- Prepare the potatoes: bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Once bubbling again, boil the potatoes for 25-20 minutes, until just tender in the middle but still firm. Drain and allow to cool for 30 minutes, until cool enough to handle. Scoop out the middle of the potatoes leaving a thick border all around the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 160Fan/180*C and brush the edges and insides of the potato skins with the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 30 minutes, turning the tray halfway through so they cook evenly. The skins will be golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, prepare the beans: heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, garlic and red pepper. Fry for 10 minutes, until softening then add the chopped oregano, hot smoked paprika (if using) and chilli flakes and fry for 1 minute.
- Add in the drained cannellini beans, tomato smoked paprika sauce and the tomato passata (or use all tomato passata). Stir well, bring to the boil them simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the potatoes and beans are ready, divide most of the beans between the 8 potato skins, top with some cheese and cover with the remaining beans. Bake for 10-15 minutes more, util golden and bubbling.
- Prepare the sour cream by stirring together the yoghurt and lime juice.
- Serve the potato skins topped with some of the sour cream, some herbs, sesame seeds and chilli flakes with a plate of salad.