This vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread tastes just like Nutella, but is so much healthier. It is sweet, thick, and smooth, with the perfect balance of hazelnut to chocolate for that familiar Nutella taste. In France, Nutella is a beloved household staple, and one of the only things I ever actually saw available in Costco-sized packaging!
Parisian Crepes with Chocolate Hazelnut Spread [Vegan]
- 1 cup unsalted dry-roasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- In a food processor, blend the hazelnuts until smooth and creamy, 10 to 12 minutes. Stop as needed to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a low simmer over low heat. Place a small heatproof bowl on top of the pot, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Add the chocolate chips and melt, stirring often, until completely smooth. (Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals.)
- Transfer the melted chocolate to the food processor along with the maple syrup and salt. Process until smooth, about 5 minutes.
(If the hazelnut mixture firms up when you add the melted chocolate, it’s likely that the hazelnuts weren’t blended for long enough. Process on high speed until the mixture softens and smoothens, about 10 minutes.)
- Store the Chocolate Hazelnut Spread in a jar at room temperature for up to 10 days.
- This recipe calls for dry-roasted hazelnuts with the skins removed. If using raw hazelnuts, you will have to toast and skin them first. To do this, toast the hazelnuts on a baking sheet in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until fragrant and blistered. Wrap the hazelnuts in a kitchen towel while warm and vigorously rub to remove most of the skins. Let cool completely.
- The Chocolate Hazelnut Spread should be kept at room temperature. If it is too cool, it will harden. If your spread does harden, heat the jar in the microwave in 15- to 30-second intervals, until you have reached a silky smooth consistency.