Casual comfort food at its best — the iconic hot dog has been transformed into a healthy sausage link of deliciousness using plant-based ingredients: the haute dog! These meat-free dogs are made from tofu, wheat protein, and oat flour seasoned with a blend of savory spices to make them taste just like the American classic. Serve with mustard, ketchup, and plenty of relish.
Meat-Free Haute Dogs [Vegan]
For the Haute Dogs:
- 8 ounces firm tofu, well drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup oat or almond flour (or make your own by finely grinding old-fashioned rolled oats or slivered almonds)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, tapioca starch, or arrowroot
- Hot dog buns, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Crumble the tofu into a food processor. Add the water, tamari, and oil, and process to blend.
- Add the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper, cardamom, and allspice and process until smooth. Add the vital wheat gluten, almond flour, and cornstarch and pulse until well combined and thoroughly mixed to form a soft dough. Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead gently for 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into eight equal pieces. Roll each into a hot dog-shaped log, about 6 inches long. Place each hot dog on a small sheet of aluminum foil and enclose it in the foil, twisting the ends to seal.
- Place the foil-wrapped hot dogs, seam-side up, in a large baking pan. Add about 1/2-inch of water to the pan and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Unwrap and cool for about 15 minutes, then refrigerate to firm up, about 1 hour.
- To cook, simmer in water for 5 minutes to heat through, or fry in a skillet until browned, or cook on the grill until hot. Serve on buns with your favorite hot dog condiments. If not using right away, cover the hot dogs tightly and refrigerate for up to four days or freeze for 2-3 weeks.
Haute Dogs from VEGANIZE IT! by Robin Robertson, William Brinson, and Susan Brinson. Copyright © 2017 by Robin Robertson, William Brinson, and Susan Brinson. Used by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
Per Serving: Calories: 179 | Carbs: 5 g | Fat: 10 g | Protein: 18 g | Sodium: 503 mg | Sugar: 1 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.