This is an ode to one of our favorite old-school chocolate snacks, the Crunchie candy bar! Golden honeycomb is a lot of fun to make and much easier than you might think. Patience and timing are the keys to getting it just right, so make sure you keep your eye on the ball! We found silicone ice-cube trays the best recipients for these sweet treats. They’re super cheap and you can pick them up online really easily. Do be careful to leave the honeycomb alone once you’ve poured it in: don’t move it! Leave it to cool in the trays for a perfect shape.
Excerpted from BOSH! on a Budget by Henry Firth and Ian Theasby. Reprinted with permission of HarperCollins, 2022.
Crunchy Honeycomb Bars [Vegan]
For the Bars:
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 10 1/2 oz dark chocolate
- oil, for greasing
- a handful of raw rice (any kind)
Heat the Caramel:
- Pour the sugar and syrup into the warm saucepan. Stir regularly with a silicone spatula until the sugar has dissolved (about 5-7 minutes).
- Once the liquid is clear, turn up the heat to medium-high and bring to a fast boil for 2-3 minutes until it reaches 284°F or you can smell an aroma of warm caramel (it’s important not to let the liquid burn, which can happen quickly, so keep a keen eye on it)
Make the Honeycomb:
- Working quickly, take the pan off the heat. Sieve the baking soda into the pan and beat with a whisk to combine. * When the honeycomb becomes cloudy and bubbles, carefully pour the mixture into the ice-cube trays using the silicone spatula to scrape the mixture (it will look uneven and messy but don’t touch it or try to press it into the holes as this will alter the texture). Leave for 30 minutes to solidify.
Make the Coating:
- Add 1 1/2 inches water to the same pan (you don’t need to wash the pan-this stage will help to clean it) • Put the pan over high heat and bring to a boil • Break the chocolate into the heatproof bowl, put the bowl over the pan, and stir until melted • Take off the heat and set to one side.
Finish the Crunchy Honeycomb Bars:
- Carefully pop the honeycomb from the trays. Dip the bites in the bowl of melted chocolate, one at a time. Remove with a fork, allowing the excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Transfer to parchment paper and leave to set for 1 hour.
Store your Bars:
- Place the dry rice in a large container and lay the Crunchy Honeycomb Bars on top, still on their parchment paper so the rice doesn’t touch the chocolate (the rice will help absorb any excess moisture and prevent the honeycomb from getting sticky).
For this recipe, you’ll need to grease the holes of 2 chunky silicone ice-cube trays and set them tightly together on a cooling rack near the stove, a medium deep-sided saucepan (about 9 inches) on low heat, silicone spatula or wooden spoon, sugar thermometer (optional), and fine sieve or tea strainer, balloon whisk, medium heatproof bowl, parchment paper, airtight container for storing