These sweet potato rice balls are the perfect finger-food for a party or for dinner. They are crispy on the outside and deliciously gooey on the inside because they’re stuffed with cashew mozzarella. Serve them with a salad and dip them in a savory dipping sauce as an added bonus.
Cashew Mozzarella-Stuffed Sweet Potato Rice Balls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Rice Balls:
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn, defrosted
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 4 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- A dash of black pepper
- Cashew mozzarella
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon beet juice or beet powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Water, as needed
- Prepare the cashew mozzarella and leave it in the fridge to cool down.
- Place 2 tablespoons of chia seeds into 4 tablespoons of water. Set them aside and let them soak. Take out the frozen corn and let it defrost.
- Place the rice in a colander and rinse the rice properly until the water comes out clear.
- Place the rice with the needed amount of water in your rice cooker.
- Wash the sweet potato and cut it into small chunks (leave the skin on if they’re organic). Place them in the steamer above the rice cooker and let the rice cook/potatoes steam until done.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Cut the fresh parsley, onion, and garlic into small pieces.
- Once the sweet potatoes are soft, place them in a large bowl and mash them up with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and spice it up as desired.
- Stir everything together until you have a moist mixture.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and take out about 2-3 tablespoon of the mixture.
- Roll it in your hands, press it down and place a small amount of cashew mozzarella in the middle.
- Form the mixture around the mozzarella and roll it into a ball.
- Repeat this step until all the mixture is gone.
- Place the balls on the baking tray and place in the oven for about 20-25 minutes of until they are crispy on the outside.
- In the meantime mix all the ingredients for the sauce together and serve it with the rice balls.