Baked penne is a vegan and gluten-free take on an Italian-American classic comfort food. This ooey-gooey cheesy dish is perfect for busy weekdays.
Baked Penne with Creamy Tomato Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 box (approx. 450g) penne pasta
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Flour
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a 9X12 baking dish.
- In a large stockpot, top with water and bring to a boil. Cook pasta according to manufacturers instructions.
- Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare the cheese sauce. In a medium-sized saucepan, over low heat, melt butter. Once the butter is melted, add the flour. Using a spatula mix well. Cook the mix and stir constantly for approx. 1-2 minutes to cook out the flour. It will have a thin paste-like consistency.
- Gradually pour in the milk and whisk until well combined.
- Add salt, lemon, garlic, nutritional yeast and shredded cheese into sauce. Mix well until shredded cheese has melted into sauce. Remove from heat.
- Pour pasta back into the stockpot and add tomato sauce and 1 cup of cheese sauce. Using the spatula, gently stir until well combined. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top the pasta evenly with the remaining cheese sauce. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for approx. 5 minutes before serving.